Wednesday 2 November 2011

Mixing those kitchens..

So one evening after we have learned for our exam(that was last week Wednesday) M came to my place and we cooked.

A day before I had already done Rosolli. This is sort of a salad, which is traditional to have in the Christmastable on the 24th of December in Finland. Here a short explanation how rosolli is done:

You need:
1. Potatoes, carrots, beetroot, apples, pickels and if you can, onions
2. cook the potatoes, carrot and beetroot(I took it from the can, the german beetroot is better because it should be salted and should not have that weird taste that the austrian beetroot has: so to say, it has the "finnish taste" of beetroot)
3. cut apples and pickles to small cubes during the other ingredients are cooking
4. cut the potatoes and carrots to cubes also and add to the other ingredients
5. if you are using onions, cut it also to small pieces. It should be raw
6. Mix everything together and there you have it: ROSOLLI
The best "salad dressing" to rosolli is whipped cream where you mix the juice of the beetroots. So that it gets salty and has a nice redish colour

Here a photo of my rosolli:

The other salad which we did was potatosalad. Now all my Austrian friends are gonna say: potatoes, onions and vinegar. Well in Finland we do it another way: In my potatosalad comes potatoes, hard cooked eggs, pickels, mayonnaise and a mix of a bit of vinegar, some spices and even a bit of sugar. Here the end result: 


And to get to the topic of my post is that Ms' mother made Schnitzel and we cooked it then and ate it with our two salads. So may I present: Austrian kitchen meets the Finnish kitchen: 

And to end this post, I cannot wait till Christmas when I get to sit to our amazing Christmas table where you can eat till you cannot eat anymore?! Eli joulupöytää odotellessa ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment